Update #45 - 26th November 2000 (6.30am AEDST, 1.30pm local time)
Position - 51°31' S, 92°46' W

Air temperature - 9 degrees
Water temperature - 6.7 degrees
Wind - S at 18 knots

KOOEE (COMMUNICATIONS) ..... anyone out there?

A big thank you to Barry Jackson and Colin Pocklinton of Nationwide Jewellers, sponsors of day #36.

Another big day at the "office" yesterday, following through with John Denton's (Whalespars) suggestion that I try to get the chainplate back into service. I spent 11 very hard hours pulling apart some of the work I had previously done and doing some new stuff. I've now bludgeoned a 30 mm x 30 mm hole through the 70 mm thick bulkhead, 100 mm down from the bottom of the chainplate. I also cut a hole 25 mm x 15 mm out of the deck, about 170 mm in front of where the chainplate protrudes. Just aft of the chainplate and snugged right up to it, I hacked out more of the deck to create an opening 30 mm x 25 mm.

Through these three openings, I have lead cored 10 mm spectra rope around 5 times so that it passes over the top of the chainplate, down the back face of it and back up the front face of the bulkhead. Then I took a number of ropes from down below through the aft hatch to cockpit winches and managed to pull the chainplate back down to within 5 mm of where it originated (a little bit of persuasion was also added by a short fat balding man wearing glasses with a red rose in his lapel, wielding a hammer and a very determined attitude). I lashed the chainplate in place in a variety of ways, then tensioned the rigging. The chainplate rode back up as the lashings took hold. It now sits about 10 mm out of position and moves about 2 mm on the average swell. It is real freaky stuff to see and feel this thing move. It is just not natural, however, I will just have to live with it.

I achieved my goals as they were at the start of the day, which was to get the chainplate back to work and ensure the V2 is correctly aligned. I removed the anchor chain and turnbuckles which took off the stainless steel flat bar, and likewise the 4:1 purchase that took off the 12 mm webbing loop through the deck is now gone. I have left (and will leave) the two cascade purchase systems that take off from the two pad eyes through the hull. They are just off tension ready to slot in if the chainplate loses the plot again.

Last night I was buggered. I may have another go at it later on but for the time being that'll do.

You will notice my latitude getting higher from now. Since New Zealand, I have been easting around 51 degrees. South Cape Horn is at 56 degrees south and I have altered course for the final run in. It is 938 nm away and should take about a week to get there.

Medical question ..... both of my ears have developed several small lumps that are situated on the back edge. They are a bit itchy, warm to touch and slightly tender. Any suggestions? Is it to do with the cold?

In the not too distant future, I will bring you some useless facts about the trip so far ..... eg. I am drinking 5.8 cups of tea each 24 hours! You were dying to know that, weren't you.

Take care,

Tony Mowbray